Ffynnon Taf

Ffynnon Taf

Sunday 14 March 2010

Visit to Africa



My trip to Mbale in Uganda in February to visit our partner school Buchunya Primary was an experience I will never forget. I've shared some of my stories and photos with the children in school and promised Mrs. Howells to post a few blogs and photos on this new site.
I travelled with 4 other colleagues and flew from Amsterdam to Entebbe airport which is on the edge of Lake Victoria and very near the equator. After an overnight stay near the airport we began our long journey to Mbale, skirting round Kampala, the capital city, passing by fields of rice, sugar cane, tea, bananas and papyrus and crossing over the river Nile.
Uganda is much greener than I expected. The country has a dry and rainy season and although we were there in the dry season we experienced a downpour of rain that was nothing like I've ever seen before!
Most of the main roads in Uganda are fine, but we travelled to school from our base, Salem Guest house, on dusty, untarred side-roads - a bumpy journey of 2 hours each morning and evening.
Photos : Malibu stork ( nearly as big as me!). River Nile near its source
Mrs. Reynolds